Friday, 14 October 2011

D.I.Y - Paper Birds

I love making things to decorate my room with, and this is one of my favourites. These little paper birds are so easy to make and look lovely hanging as a mobile! I like to hang them around my lampshade like this:


They're a great way to add a bit of colour to any room. Especially if you're renting and you're not allowed to paint the walls! Here's how to make them...




1. Draw a simple bird body shape on to a piece of card and cut around it with a craft knife. 
2. Decide on your decoration. I use pretty patterned paper, magazine cuttings and sometimes watercolours or acrylics to make my own pattern. Cover your bird with whatever decoration you like, (PVA glue is best for sticking) then cut a small hole for the wings to slot through roughly in the middle of the body. 
3. For the wings, again choose any paper you want. I've used handmade parchment, but sometimes pages from an old book or magazine clippings can be nice. Fold a small rectangle up in a "concertina" fashion.
4. Push the folded paper through the hole you made earlier so that the middle is pinched to create the effect of two wings. Add a piece of string or thread, and your little paper bird is ready to fly! 

Hope you enjoyed my first D.I.Y post :) 

x Rachel 



19 comments:

  1. Lovely idea! What do you use to stick (?) them on the ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used White Tak there - It's a bit better than Blue Tak because it blends in to the ceiling and doesn't leave as much of a sticky mark. But pins would work too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a wonderful idea, thank you! I can't wait to recycle all the cardboard and scrap materials I have lying around. You have such a wonderful blog, you are now at the TOP of my favourites list! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I will make it with my little boy. The papers are beautiful, ¿where did you buy them?.

    Greetings from Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! They are just some I have collected from different stationary shops over the years, they often come in little square sheets and in lots of different patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! I used these birds to make a November window display for the store I work at! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150912584065223&set=a.330277025222.335132.330243535222&type=1&theater

    best!
    www.geminimiami.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachel,
    just wanted to say I think this is a great idea. Hope you don't mind but I posted a link to it on my blog. Patent Pending Projects.

    http://patentpendingprojects.blogspot.com/

    The blog is about recycling and craft ideas.
    Sometimes I make my own stuff and post it on the blog and other times (when work gets in the way) I'm thankful that there are creative people out there like you that can inspire others.

    Keep up the good work.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pretty little birds! I've done the same thing only with butterflies. I appreciate this posting. Keep up the fun & creative work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for your cute birds tute. I featured it today in a paper-birds-to-make round up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am obsessed with little birds ! thank you for the great tutorial. i am a new follower and plan to stick around :) heartandthrift.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful idea! I'm doing a project in the pre-school I work in about birds and I'm definitely going to use this great activity (maybe I'll do the cutting myself though!)

    I'm keeping a blog about the pre-school and I was hoping to post a link to your post when I mention the birds project, would that be okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, I'd love that! Hope it goes well and the kids enjoy the little birdies! I'd love to see how they turn out :) x

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Rachel! Here's the link to the blog, to see how we got on :)
      http://adventuresatpreschool.blogspot.ie/

      Delete
  12. I HAVE to make some of these, been looking all over the internet for diy ideas on how to make my student housing more homey, and I think ive just found it!
    Thank you so much :D
    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these thank you for the inspiration! They would look so sweet in a baby's room, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! I saw your flying pigs as well, I am so making some farm-related mobiles soon :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day :) thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...